Monday, June 15, 2009

Flingin' Flangin' fun with Fondant!

For my next cake-related entry...FONDANT!  Now, fondant is notoriously bad-tasting, though lovely, so I don't use it as much as buttercream.  Just can't beat the buttercream, baby.  

This one was my first foray into fondant...for the Superbowl party we host every year.  I actually made Marshmallow Fondant, which was SIGNIFICANTLY more tasty than the boxed stuff.  And not too hard to make.  The little guys are gumpaste. 


Here's a close-up of one of the little players.  I thought they were cute, although looking at them now they look like their arms were amputated at the wrist.  How are they supposed to catch a football like that?


I made this cake for the annual Texas Independence Day party that my brother and his wife host every year.  Easily the COOLEST party I've ever attended...I'm always bummed when I miss a year.  This is my biggest fondant undertaking to date.  Each layer is a different flavor, Red Velvet on top, Yellow in the middle, and Devil's Food on bottom.  I cut the Texas topper out of gumpaste.  I had FITS with the blue fondant on the bottom layer...it kept drying out on me while I was coloring it, and breaking into unattractive crumbles.  I still have nightmares about it. 



3 comments:

Katie said...

now i can have milk everyday!

seriously, though, b-e-a-utiful job on those cakes. we may have to come visit just to see a creation in person. and to eat it. and i guess to see you guys, too. love you!

Just Wedeminute said...

Julia I've known you for years and NEVER knew that you liked to decorate cakes! You are so great at it!!!! They are beautiful and that TX one is AWESOME!!! Miss ya...we have to get together sometime soon!!!

ashlee said...

O.M.G. that texas cake is a.m.a.z.i.n.g!!